March 13th, 2012
There is an update to split_libraries_fastq.py to allow it to handle some of the new FASTQ file formats out there. It's amazing how many different formats there are for a FASTQ file! If you'd like to update to the newest version of split_libraries_fastq.py in MacQIIME 1.4.0 (or 1.4.0a), you can follow the instructions below. The installation package that you run will replace the following files:
and it will create the following new library:
1. Download this archive file into your Downloads folder (do not decompress with Archive Utility): fix_split_libraries_fastq.tgz
2. Open the Terminal.app
3. cd into the folder into which you downloaded the file. E.g., if you put it in the Downloads folder:
4. Extract the file using the tar utility:
tar -xvf fix_split_libraries_fastq.tgz
5. cd into the new extracted directory:
6. Run the installation script:
You will be asked for a password; this is your administrative (sudo) password for your user account. It is needed to copy files into the /macqiime/ subfolders, which are root-owned.
That should do it! Please let me know if this causes any problems. Thanks!